On the latest Rattle and Pedal podcast, Jason Mlicki and I wrapped up a series on “Stupid Sh*t Marketing Should NOT Do” and how professionals could move from checking boxes off that list to, instead, checking boxes off of my list of “Smart Sh*t Marketing Should Do.” Jason suggested we record a 3rd on how to move from one list to the other so we didn’t leave our listeners frustrated and demotivated in the gap between the two.
I know that the marketing role can be difficult and frustrating, especially if you’re stuck in a firm that belongs to the Productivity School of Marketing Thought, swimming in the BS of PS or being asked to do Stupid Sh*t.
BUT, professional services marketing can be one of the best, the most satisfying, and the most challenging marketing jobs in the world. Think about it.
In our roles, we
- manage and compete against some of the most powerful brands in the world.
- market and sell to the best brands and companies in the world.
- market and sell to the highest level executives at the best companies in the world.
- work with some of the brightest business minds in the world.
- compete against other bright business minds in the world.
- market and sell the most complex solutions that essentially are “air” in order to tackle some of the biggest strategic, financial, human capital, and technological challenges in the world.
High performers want to compete against high performers. The best athletes know that they only achieve their own potential by playing against the best in the game.
So, take heart! If you want to be challenged and grow, you are in one of the best roles in one of the best industries in the world.
Feel like you’re stuck doing stupid stuff and wondering how to move to the smart list? This episode wraps up the series on stupid and smart things for marketing to do. Jason and Jeff offer advice for becoming a smarter professional services firm marketer. LISTEN